Sunday, February 25, 2007

How do I start thinking like a teacher (instead of a student)?

I feel that I am already beginning to think like a teacher. Over the last year, I have had many opportunities to take on the role of teaching others. I know I still have a lot to learn, and thus accept the fact that I will think, at least partially, like a student for quite some time, but still hold firm that I am well on my way. During my senior year of high school, I started my school’s first public forum debate team, and was able to learn along with those I was teaching. I was able to evoke inspiration into my fellow public forum debaters, and help them in the public speaking skills, having done lincoln douglas debate for three years. However, at the same time, we were both learning the finite details of this new activity that none of us had ever participated in before. Also, during my senior year, my debate coach placed me into the seat of presidency of my high school’s first program for debate development of middle school students. The club was enacted in order to find students interested in debate at a younger age, and help them learn more about lincoln douglas debate, as we have always had a problem recruiting new debaters. There, I was able to take a first hand role at passing on my knowledge of the various realms of the National Forensics League to younger students. The most fulfilling part of the experience is going back to my old high school to help out with upcoming tournaments and seeing all those I’ve helped along the way shining in their rounds. And of course, getting the opportunity to withhold modesty as they thank me for my dedication to the team even after I’ve graduated is always a plus. But I can’t help it, I will always be a debate junkie. During the summer, I volunteer as a Camp Counselor for a day camp called Foothills that takes place in nearby Wilton. There, it’s a slightly different experience, as I am working with much younger kids. Last summer, I spent a lot of the time cutting cardboard for elementary school kids, and was often on lunch duty. This showed me the other side to teaching, the part where I must uphold the rules, and apply the proper punishment for misbehavior. Before I was a counselor there, I had attended the camp every summer for almost 8 years. I love being able to give back to a place that gave me so much growing up. And though I enjoy working with younger kids every summer, I still choose a preference for wanting to teach in a high school setting, but I will continue to volunteer my efforts each summer to the arts camp, as it really does arouse many talents within younger children, and is also tons of fun! It is for all these reasons, that I believe that I am well on my way to thinking like teacher.

I don’t really have any questions or concerns in this subject area. I know I am still thinking like a student somewhat, and will for some time, but I know it will come to me in time. I don’t believe there is anything in class we could really do to improve our mindsets, as the best way is to actually do it. Experience is the best teacher, after all.

1 comment:

TexasTheresa said...

you are so right . . . what you need to learn in this area, you have to do for yourself.
good reflection (and fun info to learn about you and your debate work!).
dr.theresa